Friday, August 16, 2013

So what's up with the name(withthewesternwind)?

Since creating the blog and becoming a bit more active in it, a couple of people have asked why I chose the name "with/the/western/wind". I thought it would be fun to write a little bit about how I chose that name. Because the blog was set up mostly for the purpose of detailing what I do on my voyage to China, I thought it would be appropriate to choose a name that somehow referenced or included some aspect of Chinese culture or language. I watched a couple of YouTube video(thank you Ben from learnchinesenow) and researched a couple of sayings and I found one that really fit my situation. 

In Chinese, when you want to see somebody off before they go on a trip or some type of voyage, you say 一路顺风(yi2lu4 shun4feng1), which would be the equivalent of saying "have a good trip". Literally, the saying means "one path(which is the way you say 'the whole way' in Chinese) with the wind". So, a couple of names popped up into my head. "One path with the wind", "Journey with the wind", "Walk with the wind", and "Wend with the wind"(gotta love that onomatopoeic alliteration) were some of the names that came into my head, but then I remembered another Chinese saying, 万事俱备只欠东风 (wan4shi4 ju4bei4 zhi3qian4 dong1feng1). This one would translate to "everything is prepared, all we lack is the eastern wind." This line is actually a reference to what a Chinese military strategist(ZhuGe Liang) said to his emperor during the Three Kingdoms Period when the state of Wei was at war with the state of Wu. He and the general had prepared a strategy to oust the opposing forces of the state of Wei and for it to work, they needed the eastern wind. You can see the full story here: full story from learnchinesenow.

I thought I finally had my name "with/the/eastern/wind", but I was slightly disappointed that I had lost my onomatopoeia, so I decided to change direction and use the western wind instead. Coincidentally, this actually made a lot more sense. The western wind was considered(in western tradition, at least) to be the mildest and most helpful wind in travel. The wind also happens to originate in the West(like I do!) and travels east(as,hopefully, I will eventually). So the name stuck and there it is! Hope that wasn't too long an explanation and thank you for taking the time to read it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment